الأحد، 23 سبتمبر 2018

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur






~ The Sun and Her Flowers ~




The sun and her flowers




the sun and her flowers by Rupi Kaur is an emotional poetry collection addressed to young girls and women alike. It is the second book after her first successful collection Milk and Honey.

The book is split into five chapters: wilting, falling, rooting,rising and blooming. It tackles different themes ; love, mourning, depression, aspires, memories, relations, immigration, brown girls and sexual themes too
 I loved most the short sections and the parts when she talked about her mother and her daily struggles in a foreign country.

To put it bluntly, I had high hopes about this collection but I was disppointed most of the time, I could not deny that I had joyful moments among some sections and illustration but it is not my cup of tea overall .

I love more the book that could change your mood completely, energize you and soften your pain. I am not into poetry; the reason I had picked up this  book was that I wanted to indulge myself and try different kind of books , I think will keep chasing good poetry books till I find  one. 




when snow falls 

i long for grass 
when grass grows 
i walk all over it 
when leaves change color 
i beg for flowers 
when flowers bloom 
i pick them 


- unappreciative



 like the rainbow 

after the rain 
joy will reveal itself 
after sorrow




 what is it with you and sunflowers he asks 
i point to the field of yellow outside 
sunflowers worship the sun i tell him 
only when it arrives do they rise 
when the sun leaves 
they bow their heads in mourning 
that is what the sun does to those flowers 
it’s what you do to me 
- the sun and her flowers





 your voice does to me 
what autumn does to trees 
you call to say hello 
and my clothes fall naturally





 even if they’ve been separated 
they’ll end up together 
you can’t keep lovers apart 
no matter how much 
i pluck and pull them 
my eyebrows always 
find their way 
back to each other 
- unibrow










لديك سؤال؟ دعنا نساعدك بالاتصال بنا عبر صفحة خدمات