الخميس، 30 أغسطس 2018

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier




My Cousin Rachel 💘




My Cousin Rachel






 I thought the story was told by a female but I was wrong, I don't know why I had that feeling from the outset when I started reading it or I had it already when I picked up that book a month ago .

Philip Ashely wrote this story being  25 years old, his parents died before he was two years old and his father died in 1815 in the war against the French.  Then his rich cousin Ambrose Achley looked after him. Ambrose was unmmarried man, shy and friendly .They became close like brothers when he grew older, he preferred to take care of Philip by himself but he was a genuine father to the young boy.

Doctors advised Ambrose to move to a drier country in the winter to save his health. He moved to Italy , one thing had occurred there could change his life completly; he didn't show any interest in a woman until he met Rchel in Italy. They get engaged and settled down there . Philip got jealous of Rachel and disturbed because of that sudden change in his happy life, but he started receiving weird letters from his uncle so he headed to Italy to figured out what was happening with him ; but unfortunately his uncle was buried before he could see him.

Philip suspected Rachel , indeed he had no evidence to prove his doubts against her but his feelings and the vague words in Ambrose's letters dragged him to believe so.

Rachel was an attractive women even in her mourning costume and a super duper from my own perspective; you will find out that when you read the novel..

In her first visit to England, Rachel met Philip in his fancy house, he was amazed by her beauty and her strong character . As time goes by, all of his suspicions faded away; he became a blind lover who dotted on  on her.

Moreover he gave her all of his property; she could easily deceive him and fake her feelings towards him in order to get what she planned . The end of the story was open, you may empathize with Philip because he had such pure heart or with Rachel for the tragic  ending that she had, but I pitied both of them.

The story was extremely enjoyable, it tackled with some important issues like: betrayal, love, family...
The plot was brilliantly done and the characters were perfectly crafted especially Rachel; it was very convincing.

The novel may seem a plain one but it was memorable for me and I liked the descriptions  and the tiny details. Honestly I'm longing to reread it again :).






" There is no going back in life, no return, no second chance. I cannot call back the spoken word or the accomplished deed "

" He was like someone sleeping who woke suddenly and found the world...all the beauty of it, and " the sadness too. The hunger and the thirst. Everything he had never thought about or known was there before him, and magnified into one person who by chance, or fate--call it what you will--happened to be me."

" How soft and gentle her name sounds when I whisper it. It lingers on the tongue, insidious and slow, almost like poison, which is apt indeed. It passes from the tongue to the parched lips, and from the lips back to the heart. And the heart controls the body, and the mind also. Shall I be free of it one day?"












لديك سؤال؟ دعنا نساعدك بالاتصال بنا عبر صفحة خدمات